Tree Specialists are our go-to people for tree planting and tree giveaway events. They are our knowledgeable tree planters who help out at plantings, aftercare events and tree depots. Tree Specialists lend a helping hand to less experienced volunteers, and they help ReForest London staff run the events smoothly.
Tree Specialists familiarizes our volunteers with various native tree species and the importance of proper tree planting techniques. You will receive an I Dig Trees t-shirt after your first event as a certified Tree Specialist!
Responsibilities & Time Commitment
- Helping staff lead tree planting, aftercare and tree depot events
- Providing new volunteers with instruction on proper tree planting
- Helping new volunteers identify trees
- Helping with set up and take down
- Providing quality assurance and fixing any trees planted improperly
- Other special event requests as needed
Time Commitment: Must attend two shifts a year (or more).
- Prerequisite: Please take ReForest London Orientation before attending this training
- Time Commitment: Tree Specialist Training consists of one 2 hour classroom training session and one 2 hour Tree Identification hike. After the training, we will send you an online quiz to complete.
- Our Expectations: If you become a Tree Specialist, we expect you to assist at FOUR shifts a year (but feel free to do more)
- Training Frequency: Once in the Spring and once in the Fall.
For additional training resources on this specialized role, please view our Volunteer Resources.
No previous experience required.
- Ability to work well with others
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- Enthusiastic about tree planting
- Some tree species background
- Capable of shovelling, carrying mulch buckets and planting trees
- Capable of lifting 10 pounds or more
- Access to vehicle is helpful
Please fill out our volunteer application form and indicate “Tree Specialist” as an area of interest.